Grand Valley State’s Brugnoni, Drury’s Landsheft honored
NCBWA Announces Division II National Players of the Week
DALLAS, Texas – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association released its weekly NCAA Division II National Players of the Week awards of the season for the week ending on April 13. Grand Valley State senior first baseman Giancarlo Brugnoni is the National Hitter of the Week while Drury senior right-hander Will Landsheft is the National Pitcher of the Week.
Giancarlo Brugnoni (Grosse Pointe, Mich.) Grand Valley State senior Giancarlo Brugnoni was a commanding presence at the plate last week, instrumental in the Lakers going 4-1 and holding on to the GLIAC lead in the standings. Brugnoni hit .643 (9-for-14) with an outstanding 1.143 slugging percentage and .762 on-base percentage. Brugnoni scored seven times, hit two home runs, drove in 11 and drew seven walks, including two intentional passes. Brugnoni went 3-for-3 with two runs, three RBI and a double against Saginaw Valley State, then followed that game with a 3-for-3, two-run, six RBI performance against Walsh with two home runs.
Will Landsheft (Bixby, Okla.) Drury senior Will Landsheft went
the distance for a second straight start and registered the
program's second no-hitter in DU's 4-0 victory over William Jewell
last Friday at Meador Park. He struck out 10 and walked one while
improving to 5-2 on the season and pushing his Drury school record
for career victories to 20 (20-5) with the seven-inning effort.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
- Atlantic: Spencer Wolfe, Shepherd (Hitter); Jim McDade,
- Central: Patrick Rients, Southwest Minnesota State (Hitter); Eddie Cumpston, Northwest Oklahoma State (Pitcher)
- East: Mike Annone, Wilmington (Hitter); Tyler Badamo, Dowling (Pitcher)
- Midwest: Giancarlo Brugnoni, Grand Valley State (Hitter); Will Landsheft, Drury (Pitcher)
- South: Michael Danner, Tampa (Hitter); Jordan DeLorenzo, West Florida (Pitcher)
- South Central: Wes Koenig, St. Edward’s (Hitter); Colton Burleson, Tarleton State (Pitcher)
- Southeast: Ryan Metzler, USC Aiken (Hitter); Shaefer Shepard, Catawba (Pitcher)
- West: Ethan Sterkel, Central Washington (Hitter); Luke Barker, Chico State (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory, newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication and writing contests.
2014 NCBWA Division II Players of the Week:
- Feb. 4: Brad Smith, Bloomsburg (Hitter); Dallas Ward, Ouachita
Baptist (Pitcher) - Feb. 12: Jordan Edgerton, UNC Pembroke
(Hitter); Daniel Barfield, Francis Marion (Pitcher) - Feb. 19:
Hunter Boose, GRU Augusta (Hitter); Jordan DeLorenzo, West Florida
- Feb. 26: Andrew Brodbeck, Flagler (Hitter); Matt McClain, St. Mary’s (Pitcher) - Mar. 5: Nick Kranick, Flagler (Hitter); Chris Murphy, Millersville (Pitcher)
- Mar. 12: Josh Coker, Lincoln Memorial (Hitter); Brannon Easterling, St. Edward’s (Pitcher)
- Mar. 19: Seth Tressler, Mansfield (Hitter); Joe Axelson, Southwest Minnesota State (Pitcher)
- Mar. 26: Colby Painter, Lander (Hitter); Dan Altavilla, Mercyhurst (Pitcher) - Apr. 2: Giancarlo Saia, Mercyhurst (Hitter); Matt Kastelic, Notre Dame (Ohio) (Pitcher) - Apr. 9: Will Kengor, Slippery Rock (Hitter); Jonathan Russell, Queens (N.Y.) (Pitcher) - Apr. 16: Giancarlo Brugnoni, Grand Valley State (Hitter); Will Landsheft, Drury (Pitcher)